Sunday, September 7, 2008

Asian connection.


I just came home from a mediocre meal at Hai Ky on East Oltorf.  My friend Rae gave the place rave reviews.  Me being an Asian food afficianado, I just had to give it a try.  Not impressed.  I had the Lemongrass Tofu Vermicelli Bowl.  The tofu was hard and chewy and I had to add a ton of hot sauce and plum sauce to give it some flavor.  My friend had the Beef Pho and loved it.  Maybe I need to try a meat option.  For some reason I always opt for the veggie option when dining Asian. Maybe it comes from my many years of being a vegetarian.  I eat meat now, but fluctuate between being a meat eater and a vegetarian.  My own little internal conflict.  I will give Hai Ky another try since my friend loves it so much.  Maybe another dish would fare better.
I am an Asian food freak.  I could eat it every day, especially Thai or Vietnamese.  Unfortunately, my partner doesn't share my enthusiasm, so I often find myself dining alone.  I'm always seeking out new places to try, but I do have some old favorites that I frequent often.  Some of my favorites include the Lemongrass Tofu at Mekong River on Sixth Street.  The tofu is cooked to perfection, not fried to a tasteless, chewy pulp.  Mmm.  I also love the S6 with tofu at Thai Noodle House on the drag.  It is a yummy coconut milk curry soup with tofu and crispy veggies.  They top it off with a handful of Lays potato chips.  I know that sounds weird, but it is delicious.  Another favorite is Thai Tara on West Sixth.  Their Tom Kha soup is to die for.  I also love their basil tofu with egg noodles.  If you haven't been to this place, give it a try.  It's worth it.  How could I forget the wonderful lemongrass tofu sandwich at Lulu B's.  Lulu B's is located in a trailer by the Office Depot on Oltorf and South Lamar.  
Now that I have a new car and don't have to rely on the bus for transportation, I can branch out and try some of the places in North Austin (South Waco to me).  I've already tried Sunflower on 1-83 and Burnet and Thanh Nhi on North Lamar.  The basil tofu at Lemongrass was excellent.  
Wish me luck on my quest!

No comments: