Monday, September 29, 2008

Achy Feet and Dusty Lungs.


As you can see from my lack of posting, I have had a crazy week chocked full of fun and music, music, music!!!  It all came to an end last night when the final notes rang out at the Band of Horses show at the 2008 Austin City Limits Festival.  I didn't have the energy to stay and watch the festival headliners The Foo Fighters, a band that I have only a marginal interest in.  
As for the festival.  This was the first year that I didn't attend all three days.  I had other obligations on Saturday that kept me from attending.  I did get to go on Friday and for a good part of Sunday.  And today, the sad reality hit me:  Time to get back to the business of school and work. 
I did get to see some great music.  Some highlights include the aforementioned Band of Horses and M. Ward, along with the Silversun Pickups, Okkervil River, Hot Chip, David Byrne and Mates of State.  The Swell Season, featuring Glen Hansard of The Frames and his girlfriend Marketa Inglova (you may remember them and their songs from the independent movie "Once"), would have been a highlight if I had been able to hear it properly.  Their delicate harmonies accompanied by a string section and a full band were drowned out by Alejandro Escovedo wailing away on the stage right next to them.  This particular stage has had a history of sound problems throughout the years of ACL.  I noticed that they are playing The Paramount Theater later this year.  This might be a more appropriate venue to showcase their wispy, orchestral songs.  Count me in.
Some acts that I was sad to miss:  Vampire Weekend, Robert Plant and Alison Kraus, MGMT, Conor Oberst, Beck, Yeasayer and AA Bondy.  Oh well, better luck next year.  I'm sure by next year I will have forgotten about my achy feet and dusty lungs of the present moment.  
Now that ACL is over, I have the Fun Fun Fun Fest festival to look forward to in November and the mother of all festivals, South by Southwest, which I like to refer to as my adult Disneyland.
Bring it on!
 

No comments: